View My Stats

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another Commotion in the Ocean

After carefully researching the feeding habits of killer whales, sharks and other aquatic predators we decided (quoting FDR) there is nothing to fear but fear itself...so today we braved the Atlantic Ocean. The first hard part was getting in as the steps down to the water at San Telmo Playa were really slippery. Thankfully there was a railing. At the next to last step you have to sit down and then ease your way into the quite bracingly refreshing water. Okay, it was cold. So pushing off I found myself treading water as fast as I could to get warm. The water wasn't as deep as I thought it would be and being salt it kept me afloat! There was only a slight moment of panic when I thought I would be dragged out to the open ocean...okay, I'm exaggerating. The waves coming in and out carry you along with them but only for a few feet. We bobbed around in the ocean for about 15 minutes and agreed that was enough for the first time. One thing I learned...keep your mouth closed...that water is really salty!




There are always lots of sun seekers on the pier. The steps to the water are further along to the right. It was really a lot of fun. Also, my careful research confirmed that there are no ocean creatures that feed on purple lycra, so I was safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment